18 Juniors from 11 Families joined us for the first night of Junior Sailing this season many for the first time. It was also lovely to see older juniors returning to brush off and develop their skills after the lost season we had last year. Nick Simon and Brian are now supported by our growing group of aspiring instructors Lucia, David, Elin, Katy and Isabel, All of whom have been sailing with us for many years.
It was also a pleasure to welcome back former juniors now returning as parents.
Mean while our Canada Geese have hatched their first brood with six goslings. The nest by the slipway still has 2 eggs,and is barrier to give the geese a bit of space. The swifts have been around for a few weeks now and a blue tit has nested in the clubhouse wall.
Stand Up Paddle Boarding (SUP) at Gresford Flash: Some standby spaces for “Introduction to SUP” sessions.
Spaces available for SUPing without instruction., please book in advance.
- Have you wanted to try Stand Up Paddle Boarding but don’t know where to begin?
- Do you already have a board but want somewhere safe to try it out?
- Do you want to join in with this fast growing sport?
Come on down to Gresford Sailing Club on Sunday 23 May (Booking essential) and give it a try.
As part of our Reg Gibbs RYA Discover Sailing Week (21-27 May 2021), Gresford Sailing Club has teamed up with Paula from Mindful SUP to offer one hour “Introduction to SUP” sessions and we are opening the remainder of the Flash to Paddle Boarders.
The SUP Trial will run on five consecutive Sundays. 23 & 30 May and 6,13 & 20 June 2021
With Covid restrictions we are having to limit numbers on the water, and split between morning and afternoon sessions. Booking is essential:- email@example.com
Mindful SUP Training Sessions Now Fully Booked: Stand-by list is available
Paula will be running five training sessions per day,
- 10:00 – 11:00
- 11:15 – 12:15
- 13:00 – 14:00
- 14:15 – 15:15
- 15:30 – 16:30.
Numbers are limited to 4 Trainees per session. Children must be accompanied on the water by a responsible adult.
SUP Training Availability
23 May: Spaces available due to cancellations
30 May: Fully Booked: Spaces on the Stand-by list
6 June: Spaces available due to cancellations
13 June: Fully Booked: Spaces on the Stand-by list
20 June: Fully Booked: Spaces on the Stand-by list
- No additional Membership fee to existing GSC Members
- £5 per Board for Temporary Membership of Gresford SC
- Children under 18 must be accompanied and supervised by a responsible adult.
- All Mindful SUP training sessions are £15 per head (this includes use of a board if you do not have your own).
Payment by Cash and Cheque only. Sorry we are not set up to take card payments.
Our toilet block has long been a object of scorn and derision, neglected and unloved. But all that is changing. Phase 1 of the toilet block project is underway. A small dedicated team of Covid safe members (mainly Gordon) has been hard at work clearing the ivy off the outside and the inside of the building, sweeping out the cobwebs and spiders and repainting the inside of the toilet block ready for the start of the season.
Using some of the additional Covid Grant we are now preparing a more thorough refurbishment and upgrade of the toilet block. If money were no object then we could have knocked down the existing building and built a brand new enlarged facility to all the latest standards. But at £40-50,000 it is not within our means and grant funding for this is not currently available. Also Keith our landlord does not want any further development on the land beyond what already has planning permission. We did look at a temporary Portacabin type block, but these would be smaller than the existing block and would require planning permission along with a load of other administrative hurdles. Refurbishing our existing building is an affordable and viable proposition.
Phase 2 of the toilet block project will be to fit new windows and secure the outside of the building, repairing some damaged block work and sealing the blocks to reduce water penetration. Contractor’s prices are in and acceptable. This work will go ahead in the next few weeks.
Phase 3 will be to tackle the antiquated plumbing and bring the showers up to modern standards, along with some minor improvements to the layout, insulation and fitting a ceiling in the male changing room. An initial budget estimate is affordable. We are now working up the details.
Following the sad news of the death of HRH The Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, Gresford Sailing Club wish to send our deepest sympathies to Her Majesty and family at this sad time.
The latest Welsh Government Covid rules allow :-
- “No more than 6 people from 2 households will be able to meet outdoors, including in gardens. Children under 11 and carers do not count towards this limit. There must be no indoors mixing and social distancing and good hygiene should be followed”.
On this basis: –
- We are reopening for up to two model boat sailors from separate households to sail their model boats at the Flash on Wednesdays and Saturdays in 2 hour time slots. Anybody wishing to sail must book their slot at least 24 hours in advance with Peter or Bill.
- Social distancing and hygiene precautions must be maintained.
- We are currently reviewing how we can restart dinghy sailing.
- The accessible toilet is open to those who need it.
- The Club House and Changing Rooms remain closed to members, other than those finishing the maintenance work.
The next Welsh Government Review is due on the 22 April, hopefully by then we will be allowed to make further relaxations. In the meantime please keep yourselves safe.
It looks as though we are going to have to be patient waiting for lockdown in Wales to ease just a bit further before we can start boating again. Hopefully the First Minister’s next announcement on 25 March will bring a bit more clarity.
In the meantime our maintenance teams have not been idle, getting the club ready for reopening.
- Gordon has been busy clearing the ivy off the toilet block and painting the windows, toilets and changing rooms ready for the new season. Goodbye “Spider Factory”.
- In the Clubhouse Peter has been redecorating and sorting out the storage. Bill has been busy finding contractors to lay new flooring. The old cooker is no longer safe so is going for recycling, Peter has sourced a replacement cooker and fridge.
- Outside, Captain Bill has been working with Nick to identify all the trailers in the trailer Park and boats in the boat park.
- The steel frame for the boat house has now been galvanised. Nick & Tim are preparing to install it and clad it in the next few weeks.
Looking further ahead we are planning some special events as Covid restrictions allow:
- May: Reg Gibbs RYA Discover Sailing Week. (Chris)
- June/July: Arthur Jones Classic Regatta (Nick & Simon)
- July/ August: Rod Evans MYA Model Boat Open (Keith)
We have also updated the Club’s Development Plan and are now scoping out a group of projects which will hopefully attract Sport Wales “Be Active Wales” grant support as we “Progress” to “Tackle inequality” and “Achieve long term sustainability”. If you want to know more just ask.
Friday 21 May to Wednesday 26 May 2021
(Subject to Covid Restrictions in place at the time)
In honour of one of our founder members Reg Gibbs we will be holding our “Reg Gibbs, RYA Discover Sailing” week from Friday 21 May to Wednesday 26 May 2021 (Subject to Covid Restrictions at the time). Gresford Sailing Club’s weekly activities will be open to all who want to come and try out our activities:-
|09:00 – 12:30||12:30 – 16:00||18:00 – 21:00|
|Friday 21 May||Juniors|
|Saturday 22 May||Dinghy Racing||Model Boats|
|Sunday 23 May||Stand up Paddleboards||Stand up Paddleboards|
|Monday 24 May|
|Tuesday 25 May||Social Sailing||Social Sailing|
|Wednesday 26 May||Model Boats||Model Boats||Dinghy Racing|
Bring your family. Bring your friends for this chance to Discover the fun of Sailing, Stand Up Paddle Boarding and generally messing about in boats. On Sunday we will be holding special sessions for visitors to bring their Stand Up Paddleboards. (SUPs) and offering “Introduction to Stand Up Paddle Boarding” sessions With Paula from “Mindful SUP”.
Friday Evening Juniors:
- We introduce children of all ages to sailing, following RYA Junior training programmes.
- Puddleducks (age 7 upwards) learn to sail in our fleet of Optimist dinghies.
- Pirates (age 10 upwards) develop their sailing and racing skills and starting to sail in North Wales Club Youth Racing Circuit and RYA On-Board events .
Dinghy Racing (Saturday Morning and Wednesday Evening):-
- Adults and older children enjoying mildly competitive racing
Model Boats (Saturday Afternoon and Wednesday Afternoon)
- For some it is the joy of building exquisite models of larger vessels
- For others it is competitive sailing from the comfort of a chair.
- For all it is a very sociable activity.
- Definitely not competitive.
- The simple joy of handling a boat under sail, single handed or with family. Try going Round the Island and watch for the terrapins
Introducing Stand Up Paddle Boarding
- Bring your own board, Or book an Introduction to SUP session
- Try out this fast growing activity on the safe waters of The Flash
- Changing facilities and showers are available (Subject To Covid Restrictions at the time)
“Introduction to Stand-up Paddle Boarding” with Paula from Mindful SUP.
Paula will be running one hour taster and introductory training sessions including use of one of Paula’s SUPs. During your taster session you will learn the essentials of SUP, getting to know the board and equipment. How to manoeuvre the board with various paddle strokes. Staying safe on the water. If you are feeling brave and fancy a dip we will show you how to self-rescue, this will also be explained whilst out on the water. You will get a taste of the amazing benefits SUP can have on the whole families wellbeing and most of all you will have some fun. The Flash is a great safe shallow lake that makes it the perfect spot for beginners to build SUP skills and confidence
Spaces are limited so booking in advance is essential. Please contact:- firstname.lastname@example.org
Non-members join as temporary members of the club (£5 per person per day).plus £15 per person for the One Hour Introduction to Stand Up Paddle Boarding sessions
Join us and sign up for Adult (and Junior) Training with Gresford Sailing Club See our RYA Training pages
Following yet more Welsh Government Covid rules & guidance and the surge in Covid cases in the Wrexham area, Gresford Sailing Club is closed again from 19 December until further notice. Members will be notified by E mail when the situation changes.
Further guidance can be found on our National Governing Body, RYA Cymru’s “Return to Boating” web site: – https://www.rya.org.uk/rya-regions/rya-cymru-wales/information-advice/Pages/ReturntoBoatingWales.aspx
In the mean time the Committee is working on preparations for the 2021 season: –
AGM Wednesday 3 February . Due to Covid restrictions our AGM this year will be an on line Zoom meeting. Invitations with the Official Notice of the AGM will be sent out by the Secretary The AGM is a formal meeting open to all members to receive the annual reports from the Commodore and the Treasurer, appoint officers and a committee for the 2021 season and appoint an Auditor.
|09:00 – 12:30||12:30 – 16:00||18:00 – 21:00|
|Wednesday||Model Boats||Model Boats||Dinghy Racing|
|Thursday||Schools / Youth Groups|
|Saturday||Dinghy Racing||Model Boats|
Dinghies:- Racing usually starts in late March with Wednesday Evening and Saturday morning racing series. Social Sailing on Sundays and Tuesday evenings
Junior Sailing:- Friday evening junior training starts in May and runs through to mid September. Juniors follow the RYA Junior training programme working up towards the RYA On Board Festival in September. More experienced Juniors are encouraged to join the RYA Club Youth Racing Circuit (CYRC) events and to apply to join RYA training squads. Over recent years Gresford SC Juniors have progressed through RYA regional, Welsh and GBR National Squads to junior national and world championships and onto RYA Youth Squads
RYA Accredited Training Courses: We run a series of RYA Introduction to Dinghy Sailing courses and Power Boat 2 courses through the year.
Model Boating: Our very active model boating section meets on Wednesdays 10:00 – 16:00 and on Saturday afternoons throughout the year. Starting with model power boats various home built model sailing boats. The model boaters now include racing 1m and Marblehead boats and the very competitive Dragon Force 65 and Dragon Flite 95 one design classes.
Social Activities: Sailing in all its forms is a very sociable activity. At Gresford we hold a series of social events throughout the year including a Skittles Evening, Treasure Hunt, Open Day, Bart’s Bash weekend (with Quiz and Chips), an annual dinner rounding the season off with Carols and Mince Pies.
New for 2021: Paddle Boarding. We have our Landlord’s permission to trial organised Paddle Boarding at the Flash in 2021. Details to follow.
For further information email either:-
Commodore Chris: – email@example.com
or Secretary Peter: – firstname.lastname@example.org
Our Wednesday Evening Pursuit Race series started again this week with five competitors in four boats working the fluky dying wind. Other members came to watch and catch up with each other after the long winter and covid lockdowns of last year.
The redecorated and reopened club room was widely admired. Thank you to Peter & Bill for all their hard work redecorating, Simon for sorting the lights and Nick for sorting out the new furniture.
Given the recent easing of Covid restrictions announced by Welsh Government our plan for reopening Gresford Sailing Club is:
- Current operation: 2 Model Boaters at a time in 2 hours slots. Slots must be booked in advance. The accessible toilet is available if you need it but the club house and changing rooms remain closed (other than for maintenance).
- From Saturday 24/3 Up to 6 people from different households can be on site. Please book in advance with the Secretary. Dinghies am, Model Boats pm.
- From Monday 26/4 Restrictions ease to allow gatherings and organised events for up to 30 people. We are unlikely to exceed the 30 people on-site limit, so we will be back to full outside operation. The club house and changing rooms will remain closed.
- Wednesday 28/4 Social Sailing, Shakedown and tuning up for the racing season.
- From Monday 3 May, indoor venues can reopen. So we will reopen the Clubhouse and Changing rooms (Max 15 people).
- Wednesday 5 May Evening Pursuit Series starts.
- Friday 7 May Friday Juniors restart.
- Friday 21- Wednesday 26 May: Discover Sailing Week, Advance booking for visitors/ guests / temporary membership
- Sunday 23 May Start Stand Up Paddle Boarding Trial, Advance booking required.
The usual covid restrictions still apply so:- Don’t come to the club if you are showing symptoms or suspect you may have covid. Hand washing, face coverings and social distancing recommendations remain in force. Everybody visiting the club must sign in for track and trace.
Dinghy sailing is restricted to single handed dinghies, household or social bubble, or a helm & crew who have been fully vaccinated
Because Covid advice and regulations are changed frequently with little warning, these dates may have to change at short notice. Please check this website for updates.
To book places in advance please e mail email@example.com at least 24 hours before you intend to come to the club.
At the AGM on 3 February the Committee elected for the 2021 season is : –
|Ex Officio||Commodore,||Chris Jones|
|Honorary Secretary||Peter Barker|
|Honorary Treasurer||Nick Blore|
|Club Captain||Bill Jones|
|Training Principal||Nick Blore|
|Committee||Dinghy Representative||Nick & Simon|
|Model Boat Representative||Keith Pizzey|
|Junior Representative||Elin Jones|
|Welfare Officer||Eleanor Dowsett|
Commodore’s Report to the Annual General Meeting 2021
Before we begin, please take a moment to remember Rod Evans: Honorary Member, Trustee, former Commodore, Long term club secretary, and founder of the Model Boats. Rod died last year.
Gresford SC has been through a tumultuous few years.
- 3 years of low water :
- This hit the dinghy racing hard and diminishing Social programme
- Junior Sailing got by
- Model boating proved very resilient, growing and evolving
- The balance of the club has changed significantly over those three years.
- Then just as Water Levels recovered last winter, we were hit with Covid,
The crisis point came with June’s SGM, after which over half the committee resigned.
- In July the remaining members of the old committee co-opted other members to form an Acting Committee. I was persuaded to take on the role of Acting Commodore until the AGM. For 6 weeks we worked in the difficult area between those upset by events and the people who were working hard to save the club.
- The formal election of a Committee at the SGM in September cleared the air and gave the club a chance to focus on recovery.
The true test of any ship (or club) is not the storms it survived, but did it deliver the goods?
When we were allowed to, we managed to stabilise the club and run most of our sailing sessions.
- In just six months we have nearly completed an ambitious programme of projects. First the Covid adjustments including the sink. Then weeding the trees and bushes from the boat park, starting the boathouse, stoning the car park and finally the tree management from the boat park along the road to the Fisherman’s Bench.
- Through the October lock-down we reviewed and update much of the club’s governance including our Constitution, Data and Safeguarding Policies.
- Our RYA Accredited Training Centre was re certified just before the current lockdown came into force.
- Over Christmas Di and I rebooted the club website www.gresfordsailingclub.com
- The Committee is also pleased to confirm that: Peter Barker, Tim Humphreys and Chris Jones, are being appointed as trustees of the Club to replace Harry, Rod and Charlie.
Covid has thrown up many challenges for the club. It has not been smooth, and there have been differences of opinion. But we would not have been able to function without our own Covid Heroes:
- Kevin who securing the original Covid Grants (Now totalling £19k) and prepared the club during the first lock down.
- Bill, Nick & Simon: Who prepared risk assessments, stewarding and generally sorting out the sailing sessions.
- Most of all Peter: As our Covid Officer Peter has been trained by RYA Cymru. He has kept us up to speed with the ever changing rules, regulations and guidance. Then converted them into the context of GSC. He has also had to balance the conflict between the libertines and deniers on one hand with other members who are rightly terrified of this horrendous pandemic. In short, Pete made our 2020 season possible.
Honorary Membership is a gift granted by the committee to recognise long term service to the club through good times and bad. This year we have three new Honorary Members: –
- Paul Sharples: 2x Commodore and long term treasurer. Instrumental in the growth of the club over the last 10 years, securing grants which funded the Training Centre
- Alan Rogerson: former Commodore and long standing committee member. Solid dependable and a voice of reason. With a wicked sense of fun on the race course.
- A N Onimous who has never been a member of the committee but who has quietly looked after the club first in body and now in spirit with great humour over many years. I know who you are, you know who you are, we all salute you.
Gresford SC survived 2020.
The Challenge for the new committee:
Is to make Gresford SC thrive again in 2021 and beyond.